500 signatures reached
To: WEST DORSET DISTRICT COUNCIL
STOP VEARSE FARM
We the under signed call on West Dorset District Council to recognise the widespread opposition to the construction of 760+ houses at Vearse Farm, Symondsbury,Bridport and to remove the proposal from the Local Plan.
Why is this important?
ADVEARSE was founded in 2013 to raise awareness of the plan to construct 760 houses at Vearse Farm Bridport. We believe that West Dorset District Council has failed to inform local people sufficiently about the scheme and therefore the public consultation was flawed.
Our main objections to the scheme are
• Scale – The scheme is not in keeping with the character of this small market town.
• Flooding- The scheme will dramatically increase the risk of serious flooding in Bridport and West Bay. In periods of heavy rain and high tides the water cannot get out to sea fast enough and we have already seen flooding episodes.
• Traffic- as a holiday route the A35 already presents a track record of delays and accidents whilst in the summer Bridport parking is a nightmare.
• Set in an area of outstanding natural beauty and containing some high grade farm land Vearse Farm is a highly visible gateway to the Jurassic coast. It is the sort of area that Government ministers have said should not be developed.
• On past experience the houses will be snapped up by incomers. There will be few affordable and little benefits to the housing list.
• Dorchester has recently had a major shopping development which would benefit from an increase in population there. This town has the medical, shopping and educational facilities to cope with a major housing development.
We are not against organic growth in the town. In particular we favour the building of affordable housing. We represent the massive opposition in the town to the development. Local councils have failed to recognise the strength of this opposition and we have been asked to launch this petition.