10 signatures reached
To: Hampshire County Council
Amendment to proposed traffic calming in Over Wallop
- The traffic situation in Over Wallop is dangerous and needs addressing.
- We absolutely support Hampshire County Council in its endeavours to introduce a traffic calming scheme in the village.
- However, we have severe reservations about certain aspects of the scheme and are petitioning for changes to be made prior to the project entering detailed design.
- In particular, the proposed closure of Salisbury Lane will result in Station Road bearing the entire traffic burden in the village which seems unfair and inequitable.
- Instead, we propose Salisbury Lane remain open but with substantial traffic calming measures (chicanes etc) on both Salisbury Lane and Station Road to deter use and slow traffic.
- For the avoidance of any doubt, we are NOT looking to delay, frustrate or cancel the other elements of the proposed traffic calming scheme (such as the changes at the junction in Grateley or the speed reduction measures on Station Road).
Why is this important?
- The volume and speed of traffic using Over Wallop is inappropriate.
- The traffic situation in the village is dangerous with numerous incidents involving pets in recent years and a number of near-misses with school children.
- We absolutely support a traffic calming scheme in the village - but do not support certain elements of the scheme as proposed by Hampshire County Council.
- The proposed permanent closure of Salisbury Lane will cause a very material increase in traffic on Station Road (as was evidenced during the recent temporary closure of the lane).
- It seems inequitable that Station Road should bear the entire traffic burden in the village.
- We believe a fairer solution would be that Salisbury Lane remains open and that chicanes are placed on both Station Road and Salisbury Lane to deter use as a cut-through and slow traffic.
- This solution should distribute traffic between Salisbury Lane and Station Road, thereby minimising the impact of road traffic on residents of both roads.
- In addition, we strongly believe that changes are required to the road layout (introduction of a mini roundabout) at the junction of the Old Stockbridge Road and the A343 at Kentsboro in order to support the flow of traffic away from Over Wallop. This junction is already an accident blackspot which will only get worse if the proposed traffic calming measures are introduced.
If your husband, wife, parnter, children (over 18) or others support this petition please ask them to sign individually.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PETITION IS CONFIDENTIAL AND THAT "SIGNATORIES" NAMES WILL NOT BE DISCLOSED TO ANYONE OTHER THAN THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE OF HAMPSHIRE COUNTRY COUNCIL.
How it will be delivered