25 signatures reached
To: Adur District Council
Ask Adur Council to back climate pledges with demands for a new climate & nature law
Resolve to support the Climate & Ecological Emergency (CEE) Bill and influence local MPs to vote for the Bill.
Why is this important?
No matter what we do as individuals to make changes in our own lives, this will not be enough without serious legislation change from parliament.
It’s been 2 years since the UK declared a climate and environment emergency. The government says it is making progress towards reducing carbon emissions, but without more significant and sustained action from the richest countries, the world is set to exceed the Paris Agreement’s critical 1.5°C limit between 2030 and 2040. And the UK is one of the most nature-depleted countries in Europe.
The costs of failing to address these crises will far outstrip the investments required to prevent it. Investing now will bring many benefits in the form of good jobs, breathable cities and thriving communities. Limiting heating to 1.5°C may still be possible with ambitious action from national and sub-national authorities, civil society, the private sector and local communities.
Adur District Council has declared a Climate Emergency and it is playing an important role in the UK taking action to achieve net zero. We want it to support the CEE Bill because all their efforts will not be enough unless there is new ambitious and effective national legislation. The CEE Bill (published as the “Climate and Ecology Bill”) binds the Government to develop an emergency strategy that:
1. requires that the UK plays its fair and proper role in reducing greenhouse gas emissions consistent with limiting global temperature increase to 1.5 degrees C above pre-industrial temperatures;
2. ensures that all the UK’s consumption emissions are accounted for;
3. includes emissions from aviation and shipping;
4. protects and restores biodiverse habitats along overseas
5. restores and regenerates the UK’s depleted soils, wildlife habitats and species populations to healthy and robust states, maximising their capacity to absorb CO2 and their resistance to climate heating;
6. sets up an independent Citizens’ Assembly, representative of the UK’s population, to engage with Parliament and Government and help develop the emergency strategy.
We want the Council to resolve to:
1. Support the Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill
2. Inform the local media of this decision;
3. Write to local MPs, asking them to support or thanking them for supporting the Bill; and
4. Write to the CEE Bill Alliance, the organisers of the campaign for the Bill, expressing its support ([email protected]).
You can read more about the CEE Bill here: https://www.ceebill.uk