50,000 signatures reached
To: Minister for Justice David Gauke MP & Prime Minister Theresa May
CALL FOR AN INVESTIGATION AND INDEPENDENT PANEL INQUIRY INTO THE DEATH OF 7 YEAR OLD ZANE
Potential Risk Arising From Toxic Gas In Landfills
We are calling for a truthful public debate and investigation into the tragic death of 7 year old Zane Gbangbola, who died when hydrogen cyanide was found in his home as floodwater rose beneath.
Why is this important?
Zane died in his home on 8 February 2014, a day after his home in Chertsey was hit by severe floods. His parents Nicole and Kye were hospitalised in a critical condition.
There is evidence to suggest the cause of Zane’s death was hydrogen cyanide, a toxic gas that can lurk in unregulated landfill - like the one by their house - released from the ground by mixing with floodwater. The fire and rescue team who attended the incident and monitored the air in the family home confirmed "25,000 parts per million of hydrogen cyanide" were present. Hydrogen cyanide was also found in the family's blood.
Despite the reports that "very high levels of hydrogen cyanide" were found at the property, reports in the press suggested that carbon monoxide poisoning from pumps in the family home was the cause of death. The family have said that the only pumps which were on at the time were electric and no carbon monoxide was found in the family home.
It took Public Health England 14 weeks to confirm to the family that hydrogen cyanide was indeed found in their flooded house. And despite the immediate finding of hydrogen cyanide in the home, the pathologist was never told to test Zane’s blood for hydrogen cyanide.
In short, it appears that the very agencies here to protect us believe the truth will do more harm than good. Their focus is on the avoidance of national hysteria over the possible risk posed by old contaminated, undisclosed landfill sites throughout the UK.
Nicole and Kye are bereaved parents who deserve to know what really happened to their son. They have been left ‘broken’ by the death of their son and frustrated by the lack of answers.
Mr Gbangbola, who was left paralysed from the same incident and whose diagnosis is paraplegia due to Hydrogen Cyanide poisoning.
He said, “We really want to push and find answers because it is wrong that these risks can occur. Ideally this is something we would like to be able to highlight nationally. This deadly gas has come from somewhere, the authorities need to admit its presence, investigate its source and act to prevent more deaths and illness.” He said “We miss Zane every second of the day and all those who spent time with Zane commented that Zane was a truly remarkable boy. We would not want anyone else to experience this pain and burden of a living hell”.