100 signatures reached
To: Andy Burnham
Reclaim Social Care in Greater Manchester
• support the return of publicly funded and provided social care, democratically managed , for all those in need
• propose that social care in Greater Manchester should be provided without charge, funded from general taxation
• expose the glaring contradiction in the public funding of personal care and support on some medical grounds (e.g. after a stroke or heart attack) but not when there is a need through dementia, where individuals and their families have to finance their social care
• support the provision of social care and support by a properly trained, skilled workforce who are paid appropriately; so that we, the residents of Greater Manchester, can enjoy the social care and support services that we expect from our relatively rich, civilised society.
• show how the present level of public provision of social care is woefully inadequate to meet the needs of your Greater Manchester constituents
Why is this important?
We understand that local authority funding has been viscously cut by successive governments, since 2008.
However we also understand that it is the legal responsibility of local authorities to deliver support and care to vulnerable people within their communities.
We call on you, Andy Burnham, as mayor of Greater Manchester and figure head for the Greater Manchester Combined Authority, to take a stand.