500 signatures reached
To: LONDON BOROUGH OF TOWER HAMLETS
STOP THE (ex)LONDON CHEST HOSPITAL DEVELOPMENT: PROTECT PEOPLE NOT PROFIT
REJECT the planning application PA/16/03342/A1 for redevelopment of the London Chest Hospital.
Why is this important?
The much-loved Grade II listed former London Chest Hospital is to be largely demolished to make way for 350 expensive flats that will damage the local community. Please sign this petition to preserve this historic building and protect the neighborhood.
The proposed development will:
• Destroy local Heritage with the demolition of the existing roof and south wing, both of which are listed. This is inaccurately referred to as "roof raising" by the developers.
• Damage the Victoria Park Conservation area due to the development's density, height and layout
• Create 7-storey buildings that block almost all daylight from neighbouring homes. The proposed development is three times the height of some residential buildings immediately beside it.
• Put a huge drain on local services. The local schools and doctors are already full.
• Create major traffic and parking problems - clogging up already busy streets.
• Produce very low levels of 'affordable' housing: less than 20%, meaning this development will not help those who need homes most - including key workers.
• Result in 350 expensive flats that are much more densely packed than the surrounding area.
If the site is to be developed, it should be done in a way that respects the local community, Heritage and Victoria Park Conservation Area. This proposed development does not do any of these things. We call on the Council to reject the proposals.