We call upon the Council of Royal Holloway, University of London to:
- Publicly justify pay rises for the Principal and his management team.
- Given the low levels of student investment, donate any proposed pay rises for the Principal to strengthening the 'student experience'
- Instead of seeking conflict, instruct the Principal to begin negotiating and consulting with staff over pay and conditions that befits modern industrial relations
- Instruct the Principal to press UCEA to re-open negotiations and make a fair pay settlement that will avoid the damaging impact of a marking boycott.
- Opens a dialogue with all campus unions (including SURHUL) about fair pay as part of the broader strategy of investing in our College.
Why is this important?
We, the undersigned, are students, alumni and staff of Royal Holloway, University of London concerned about the recent pay rises awarded the Principal Paul Layzell. In 2012-2013, Professor Layzell was awarded an £8,000 pay rise of 3%, which he is yet to justify and we still do not know whether he was in receipt of a pay rise in 2013-2014.