10,000 signatures reached
To: Glasgow City Council, SPT and Transport Secretary Michael Matheson MSP
Get Glasgow Moving - world-class transport for Glasgow
Deliver a world-class, fully-integrated & accessible, publicly-owned & accountable, public transport network for everyone in our region
Why is this important?
Most people in Glasgow rely on public transport to get around (only 49% of households have cars), yet our public transport network is a total mess.
Investing in public transport is essential for expanding our region’s economy, addressing inequality and social isolation, reducing toxic levels of air pollution and tackling climate change.
Bickering between political parties is letting Glasgow down. We are decades behind other cities in providing affordable and sustainable transport. We are calling for:
• a publicly-owned bus company for Greater Glasgow, to offer a great service like Edinburgh's Lothian Buses
• affordable, integrated ticketing, with a region-wide smartcard and daily price cap
• bike hire stations across the region, with free access for concessionary card holders
• a democratically-accountable Transport Authority for Greater Glasgow, with power over the entire transport network (traffic/parking controls and public transport)
• a coordinated, long-term vision and investment to meet the region's transport needs