To: Francis Maude, Secretary of State for the Cabinet Office

Don't offshore our jobs and data

Don't offshore our jobs and data

The government wants to privatise, and offshore to India, the management of data about thousands of public servants.

Shared service centres, which provide IT, HR, pay and payroll, finance and procurement functions for public servants, could be privatised and run by a company called SSCL.

Please protect public jobs and data from offshoring.

Why is this important?

SSCL has already cut 500 jobs across the UK. It's also announced the closure of three offices in Cardiff, Leeds and Sheffield, and is shipping 200 posts to India.

SSCL, the joint venture company, is 25% government owned. The remaining 75% is controlled by French multinational Steria - one of the companies responsible for failing to deliver a £56m IT project, recently written off by The Ministry of Justice. Despite this, MoJ is now rewarding failure by awarding further work to the company.

If this privatisation and offshoring goes ahead,1,000 staff in Newport and Bootle also face being privatised. More jobs could be lost. The staff in Newport and Bootle handle personal data belonging to thousands of public servants, prison and probation officers. This data would be at risk if it was offshored to a country without the UK’s robust data protection regulations.

We want the government to use its stake in the SSCL company to prevent the offshoring of jobs and data and to stop future offshoring by ending its privatisation agenda.


Reasons for signing

  • Keep jobs and data securely in this country. Too many leaks with our information as it is!
  • IT JUST MAKES SENSE TO HAVE A SERVICE THAT WORKS AGAINST SAVING MONEY AND A SERVICE THAT DOESNT WORK...I HAVE EXPERIENCED THAT ..THANK YOU X
  • KEEP ALL JOBS IN GB AND ALL OUR DATA IN THE UK WHY TAKE IT ABROAD YOIU MUST BE MAD AND GREEDY

Updates

2014-07-30 16:06:30 +0100

1,000 signatures reached

2014-06-25 08:57:57 +0100

500 signatures reached

2014-06-23 20:30:33 +0100

100 signatures reached

2014-06-23 19:47:43 +0100

50 signatures reached

2014-06-23 19:23:09 +0100

25 signatures reached

2014-06-23 18:36:05 +0100

10 signatures reached