Following the announcement of exploratory licences for unconventional shale gas in Barnsley, we the undersigned oppose the prospect of fracking in Barnsley.
Why is this important?
We are concerned that fracking could:
• Contaminate our water supply
• Pollute the air with hazardous chemicals
• Cause earthquakes
• Reduce the value of our homes
• Increase our insurance premiums
• Make our roads less safe by increasing heavy traffic
• Leak methane, which is a potent greenhouse gas 80 times more powerful than carbon dioxide
• Cause illness in local populations
• Increase noise and light pollution from drilling operations and traffic movement.
Fracking is bad for our environment, bad for our communities and we call upon Barnsley Council to reject fracking in Barnsley.