100 signatures reached
To: West Berkshire Council
Make Beenham's A4 junction safer
Install a roundabout at the A4 junction at Beenham to make it safer
Why is this important?
Most local residents and our visitors agree that the junction with the A4 at Beenham Hill is dangerous. If you are turning right to go towards Newbury you currently have to contend with
• traffic heading east along the A4
• traffic turning right from the west, across the central reservation towards the hotel, the old houses which are along the main road and now the new development just past the hotel
• traffic turning right from the east to cross to Beenham Hill
• traffic coming out of the hotel and turning westwards OR crossing the A4 to go eastwards
• traffic coming out of the new development to the east of the hotel and turning westwards OR crossing the A4 to go eastwards
• traffic coming out of the existing road where the older houses are and turning westwards OR crossing the A4 to go eastwards
• traffic heading west along the A4
Equally there is a problem when trying to turn right from the east to get to Beenham Hill, bearing in mind all the different streams of traffic. The central reservation area is not big enough for vehicles trying to go in the various directions and the road markings are inadequate and ambiguous.
We urge the District Council and the Highways authority to install a roundabout as the safest option at this junction and to do it before a serious accident occurs.
Some years ago Harts Hill from Bucklebury to Thatcham was changed from National Speed Limit to 40mph after a Beenham resident was killed there by a car driving too fast for the conditions. More recently changes were made to the A4 at Beenham following the death there of another Beenham resident. Let's hope we don’t have to wait for yet another Beenham villager to be involved in a fatality before this junction is made safe.