1,000 signatures reached
To: The PM and all Party Leaders
Cabinet Minister for Disability
Give people with disabilities a place at the top table
1. Appoint a Cabinet Minister for Care and Disability
2. Develop an overarching strategy that is more than just about getting the disabled to work
3. Take the discredited benefit assessment out of private hands
4. Address the crisis in commissioned care
5. Support independent living
6. Encourage innovative community-based care models like Co-Housing, Shared Lives, L’Arche and Camphill.
Why is this important?
Care & Disability deserve a place alongside Health and Education as one of the great offices of state. The UN recently described the plight of people with disabilities in Britain as a “human catastrophe”.The Equality and Human Rights Commission says disabled people are second-class citizens. Hit by cuts and a punishing assessment system many people with disabilities are in the fight of their lives. They feel marginalised and humiliated. We need a new approach and the best place to start is at the top. A junior minister in the DWP is the wrong person in the wrong place. Ask party leaders to show their commitment by appointing a Cabinet Minister. Sign the petition.
How it will be delivered
By hand and email