100 signatures reached
To: Manchester City Council Executive
Rethink the Paterson Proposal
URGENT: A proposal has been made for a huge development on the site of the burnt-out Paterson building on Wilmslow Road on the border of Withington/Didsbury which is set to receive council backing imminently. The building would dwarf the surrounding residential area (being of a similar height to Nelson's Column); bring in an unspecified number of staff with the potential to exacerbate existing problems of parking, traffic and pollution; and could set a precedent for the scale of future development around the site and in South Manchester.
This is a joint proposal from the University of Manchester, Cancer Research UK and The Christie. Whilst acknowledging their invaluable work, we the undersigned request that Manchester City Council Executive recognise the profound concerns raised in the local community by rejecting the proposal in its current form.
Why is this important?
1. The Council is running a consultation process on the proposal until May 16th 2019, and has invited feedback from the public. However the Council Executive has already given approval in principle and appear poised to give formal approval imminently. A concerted response from residents is the only way to persuade them to think again. If the Council formally approves the high-level proposal, future planning applications based on it are very likely to go through.
2. You can raise your concerns via email to [email protected]. This is crucial – in fact much more important than signing this petition. NB: include your postcode and reference "The Paterson SPF Addendum". Note that members of the same household can make separate responses. PLEASE TAKE ACTION NOW.
3. More information about the proposal and a suggested letter to the council can be found at www.rethinkpaterson.org.uk.
4. Details of the council consultation can be found here https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/info/500113/city_centre_regeneration/7767/public_consultation_-_the_christie_draft_addendum_to_strategic_planning_framework
5. More information is available at the campaign website http://rethinkpaterson.org.uk.
The Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/RethinkPaterson. The email address is [email protected]. If you would like to stay in touch with developments please ensure that you opt-in to receive emails when signing the petition. Please also consider adding a comment. Thank you for your support.
This petition is being run by a member of the public and not 38 Degrees, if you disagree and would like to start your own petition, you can do so here: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition/new